INDIANAPOLIS -- Milwaukee sophomore forward Amy Kauffung (Hartland, Wis.) has been named Horizon League Women’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while teammate Jamie Forbes (St. Charles, Ill.) has earned Defensive Player of the Week accolades for the week of Aug. 13-19. The award is the second of Forbes’ career and first for Kauffung.
The duo helped lead Milwaukee (1-0-1) to a scoreless draw with No. 24 South Carolina before a 4-0 rout of St. Bonaventure to close the weekend.
Against the visiting Gamecocks, Forbes turned aside eight shots on goal to preserve the draw before making three more saves in Sunday’s victory. The senior, who was named College Sports Madness’ Horizon League Preseason Defensive Player of the Year, became the fourth keeper in Milwaukee history with back-to-back shutouts to start the season.
Kauffung, the 2011 Horizon League Newcomer of the Year, fueled the rout of visiting St. Bonaventure with the game’s second goal and an assist on the third. On the weekend, Kauffung recorded a team-high seven shots.
Milwaukee, which was receiving votes in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll last week, will travel to Valley Fields for a match against No. 16 Marquette on Friday, Aug. 24, beginning at 9:30 p.m. ET. The Panthers will be back at Engelmann Stadium on Sunday, Aug. 26, when they meet Miami University. The Horizon League Network will carry the match live, beginning at 1:30 p.m. ET.
Top Offensive Performers for the Week:
- Alli Sieradzki, Cleveland State (Fr., F) - Slotted her first career goal in overtime, lifting Cleveland State to a 2-1 victory at Bowling Green.
- Luisa Desario, Valparaiso (Sr., F) - Picked up the match-winning goal in Valparaiso’s season-opening 1-0 victory against IUPUI.
- Emilie Fillion, Wright State (Sr., F) - Recorded the game-winning goal against visiting Ohio, beating the keeper with just 3:36 remaining.
- Tyesha Kizer, Youngstown State (Fr., F) - Scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 victory at Duquesne, finishing a header with 5:11 to play.
Top Defensive Performers for the Week:
- Kristen Manski, Valparaiso (Jr., GK) - Earned shutouts in back-to-back matches, helping Valparaiso open the year with consecutive shutouts for the first time in program history.
- Brooke McCurdy, Wright State (Jr., GK) - Made three saves against Ohio, helping Wright State to the 1-0 victory.
- Ali Viola, Youngstown State (Jr., GK) - Tallied seven saves in the Penguins’ 1-0 win at Duquesne, collecting her second career shutout.
Women’s Soccer Offensive Players of the Week:
August 13: Amy Kauffung, Milwaukee
Women’s Soccer Defensive Players of the Week:
August 13: Jamie Forbes, Milwaukee
Tags: Milwaukee - Women's Soccer