INDIANAPOLIS -- Green Bay freshman forward Sidney McClain (Brooklyn Park, Minn.) is the Horizon League Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week while Milwaukee sophomore goalkeeper Liam Anderson (Auckland, New Zealand) is the Defensive Player of the Week for the week of Nov. 3-9. The awards are the first of the season for both players and the second of Anderson’s career.
Green Bay (6-9-3, 2-5-1 Horizon) collected its second consecutive victory, knocking off Cleveland State, 2-1, at Krenzler Field. Milwaukee (6-9-3, 3-3-2 Horizon) clinched the No. 6 seed in the upcoming Horizon League Tournament, defeating Detroit, 2-0, on Moynihan Field at Engelmann Stadium.
McClain did his damage halfway through the first half, potting his only two goals of the season just two minutes apart. The freshman netted his first career goal in the 24th minute, receiving a pass from Tyler Swanner in the box and converting. In the 26th, McClain added his second goal of the match less, taking a cross from Audi Jepson and scoring to the far post.
McClain finished his season tied for fourth on the Phoenix with seven points.
Needing a victory to clinch a spot in the Horizon League Tournament, Anderson kept League co-champion Detroit out of the net, turning aside all three Titan shots on frame. The shutout was Anderson’s third of the year and second in conference play.
The defending conference champion, Milwaukee will be seeded sixth and open the Horizon League Tournament at No. 3 seed Wright State on Monday, Nov. 10. The match will begin at 7 p.m. EST, with live coverage on the Horizon League Network.
Top Offensive Players of the Week:
Top Defensive Players of the Week:
- Matt Dudley, Oakland (Jr., M): Helped Oakland clinch its first Horizon League regular season co-championship and No. 1 seed by assisting on both Golden Grizzly goals in a 2-2 draw at Valparaiso.
- Petter Ingebrigtsen, Milwaukee (Fr., F): Notched his team-best fifth goal of the year in the win over Detroit.
- Matt Gweh, Valparaiso (So., F): His first-half goal set the tone for two Valparaiso comebacks in a 2-2 draw with League co-champion Oakland.
- Nathan Laude, UIC (Fr., F): Recorded his first career multi-goal effort, netting two goals in 3:09 to fuel UIC’s 4-0 victory against Belmont.
- Sergio Manesio, Cleveland State (So., F): Scored the lone goal of the match for Cleveland State in the team’s 2-1 loss to Green Bay.
- Jake Stovall, Wright State (So., D): Scored Wright State’s lone goal at Bowling Green.
Offensive Players of the Week
- Cody Archibald, Oakland (Sr., D): Gave Oakland an early lead at Valpo with his first goal of the season.
- Tyler Blackmer, Wright State (So., GK): Turned in five saves in an overtime loss at Bowling Green in which both goals against came on penalties.
Aug. 25: Jesus Torres, UIC
Sept. 2: Eric Lynch, Wright State
Sept. 9: Audi Jepson, Green Bay
Sept. 16: Jorge Alvarez, UIC
Sept. 23: Zev Taublieb, Valparaiso
Sept. 30: Eric Lynch, Wright State
Oct. 6: Jordan Aidoud, Valparaiso
Oct. 13: Jose Fuentes, UIC
Oct. 20: Rashad Hyacenth, Belmont; Peguy Ngatcha, Wright State
Oct. 27: Lawrence Talery, Green Bay
Nov. 3: Sidney McClain, Green BayDefensive Players of the Week
Aug. 25: Nico Campbell, Valparaiso
Sept. 2: Thomas Villamil, UIC
Sept. 9: Nathan Steinwascher, Detroit; Omar Lawrence, Valparaiso
Sept. 16: Tyler Blackmer, Wright State
Sept. 23: Nathan Steinwascher, Detroit
Sept. 30: Wes Mink, Oakland; Emeka Ononye, Wright State
Oct. 6: Cody Archibald, Oakland
Oct. 13: Wes Mink, Oakland
Oct. 20: Wes Mink, Oakland
Oct. 27: Tyler Blackmer, Wright State
Nov 3: Liam Anderson, Milwaukee
Tags: Green Bay - Men's Soccer · Horizon League - Men's Soccer · Milwaukee - Men's Soccer